Hypesynthesis


I went to Chapters today on behalf of a boy.  I want a book focused on wind energy so I looked in the "Science and Technology" section then the "Environment" section, I also looked in "Engineering".  I used the computer and several books came up, not one was in stock and half of them were unavailable to order.  The ones available to order were roughly $300.  They were textbooks which si fine except textbooks I can find in a library but also, textbooks on wind energy are (in my experience) for people who study engineering or marketing specifically.  I want a wind energy introduction book.  Something that would cover wind energy generally and broadly, but doesn't leave out its mechanics or economic worth. I figured a store like Chapters would have a disgusting amount of solar, wind and geothermal introductory reads... But not one on any of these subjects did I find.  If I have to make a point of this rambling I guess it would be that for all the talk about change and clean energy, there sure isn't much available to motivate/interest individuals who want to educate themselves and understand why the future of these are so necessary from every angle.  "Google it" I guess.

Everything is round
Show me a square anywhere
When you break it down.

"Clean energy" and "green" are media-flavour-words used by businesses that have caught on to these ideas as a trend.  Fortunately companies are portraying themselves as greener and this has a tremendous impact on consumers psychologically... Unfortunately this "trendy" approach to initiating a greenteam is just like the perfect models in advertisements: It's a picture, everything behind what goes into developing that picture is less than inspiring. We will buy the product but our money is not going to any greater cause; the company pays for the green marketing then continues business as usual, distracting us with pseudoslogans and empty promises.  It's frustrating because of how desperately we need to implement these ideas regardless of which consumer gives a lick. 


1 comment: